There are certain accessories that every pontoon boat owner should have on their boat. One of those accessories is a pontoon boat toilet.
There is no point in explaining everything that can go wrong on your trip. We can say that our metabolism sometimes has it’s own clock when it comes to natural things in life. Having a portable travel toilet might be an answer.
Recently I wanted to update the bathroom on my boat, so I did a little research on it. I read some reviews on Amazon to get an idea of what the best toilets are. If you want to learn more about these toilets and which model to purchase, I’ve reviewed a few below.
Portable Boat Toilet Types
- Chemical Toilet – The waste management effectiveness is what makes these toilets so popular. The chemical that it uses breaks down the waste, prevents odor, and lets you know when it’s time to replace it. This blue chemical turns green once it is no longer effective in odor prevention.
- Compost Toilet – The eco-friendly option which does not use water. It is very light and mobile. Composting is a process by which the human excreta is decomposed and turned into compost.
- Container-based Sanitation Toilet – The human waste is collected into a removable container. Then you can take that container to a treatment facility for disposal. This is not what you would typically have on your boat, but it is an option.
- Bucket Toilet – Old fashioned bucket equipped with a toilet seat on top for your comfort. This is an outdated option, but I thought I should mention it for nostalgic sake.
Portable Toilet Manufacturers
- Reliance – A respected brand that has been around for a long time due to its quality.
- Dometic – Great company with a focus on outdoors, RV’s, marine, and camping.
- Camco – A US company that creates a large number of outdoor products and accessories. If you are looking for a variety of marine products or outdoors in general, Camco has it.
- Thetford – This company focuses on mobile living. It provides a variety of products from cleaning supplies, kitchen accessories, and sanitation.
Should You Buy Porta Potty for Your Pontoon
All boaters should plan and install a portable toilet on their boat. Once you are in the water, you don’t want to go back for a bathroom trip.
Here are a few reasons you should consider adding a portable toilet if you don’t have one.
- Children – They can’t hold it like you and I, so you should have a bathroom area they can use.
- Long Trips – Porta-potty allows for worry-free trips to your favorite beach, no matter how far it is.
- Medical Problems – A toilet offers a sense of freedom for those with a medical condition.
- Emergencies – We should all have a toilet on our boats for bathroom emergencies.
Below are my thoughts on the best portable toilets.
The Best Pontoon Boat Toilet Reviewed
Dometic 5 Gallon Model Series Toilets
One of the best potties that you can install on your pontoon is the Dometic Portable Toilet. This was one of the first products that I stumbled across, and I was immediately captured.
This is a 5-gallon portable toilet model that comes with a unique elongated seat. What I liked about Dometic was that it is built from ABS. In other words, it is built to last.
According to the reviews, the cleaning and maintenance of Dometic sanipottie are minimal. All that is required of the user is to add water to the holding tank and press a button.
After a long day out on the water, all you need to do is empty the waste tank. Thanks to the extra-long pivoting discharge spout emptying the waste tank is not a problem.
I should note that this toilet series was built for adults. If you have children, you may need some accessories, like a child toilet seat.
- High-strength ABS construction withstands harsh environments; smooth, easy-to-clean finish
- Prismatic tank level indicator allows easy tank level monitoring
- Push-button flush clears bowl instantly
Camco Standard Travel Potty
A porta potty that impressed me is the Camco Standard Portable Toilet. This Camco portable toilet holds 2.5 gallons of water. That is slightly smaller than the Dometic Portable Toilet, except this one can hold up to 5.3 gallons of waste in a tank.
What I thought was nice about this portable toilet was that it’s the size of a normal toilet in your home. If you have children, this will be great if you need extra accessories for them.
Also, I like the side valve on the side of the toilet. This helps to keep bathroom odors trapped inside of the toilet, rather than around on the boat. Any pontoon boat owner would appreciate the simplicity of this Camco portable toilet for their boat.
- 5.3 gallon holding tank is detachable; 2.5 gallon flush tank
- Sealing slide valve locks in odors and protects against leakage
- Side latches secure the tank to the toilet
2.6 Gallon PartySaving Portable Toilet
When I first saw the PartySaving Portable Toliet, I thought it would have been an eye-sore for my pontoon boat. If you are like me, I like my pontoon boat to be shiny and appealing. But, if you are looking for practicality, this toiled is just that, as well as incredibly easy to clean.
All you need to do is remove a screw cap and detach the waste tank to dispose of the waste. The best part is that it’s leak-proof.
My only concern with this toilet was that it’s not a full-size toilet. So, it may take a bit of time to get used to it. And, if you have children, you might have a hard time finding accessories.
- Completely self-contained 2.6 Gallon Portable Potty made of high density polyethylene
- Spacious fresh water reservoir and separate waste tank included
- Seat Post: 14"(L) x 14" (W) Max Weight: 250lbs
Thetford Porta Potti Curve Toilet
The best pontoon boat toilet on the market is the Thetford Porta Potti. It is also the best looking. This is a modern-looking travel toilet that would compliment any pontoon. It can hold 4 gallons of water in a tank!!
Thetford Porta Potti comes with a battery-powered feature that controls the flushing mechanism. On top of this, you can even hide toilet paper with this toilet.
How cool is that!
My only word of caution that I can say is that this toilet is bigger in size than others. If you use this with a drop-down bimini changing room, make sure you buy the right sizes.
- VERSATILITY: Award-winning, top-of-the-line portable toilet, suited for RVs, boats, trucks, vans, healthcare, camping and even off-the-grid lifestyle
- DESIGN: Sleek, modern, and homelike look, Porta Potti Curve comes with a comfortable seat height, increased bowl size, and battery-powered flush
- FUNCTIONALITY: Easy to use and clean, Curve has an ergonomic carrying handle, an integrated toilet paper holder, and a tank level indicator
Palm Springs Outdoor Porta Potty
The last toilet in this comparison review is the Palm Springs Portable Toilet. This is the simplest-looking toilet on the market.
Reviewers are saying that it is incredibly comfy, even for the children. This makes Palm Springs Outdoor Toilet very family-friendly.
I like the fact that it has an ease-of-use and cleaning mechanism. It functions like your toilet at home. All you need to do is remove the bottom of the holding tank to remove the waste.
- Self-contained portable toilet for camp site, boat, RV, or other recreation
- Sturdy full-size seat/lid; lushes like residential toilet; matte finish conceals scratches
- 3-gallon freshwater holding tank and 5-gallon waste-water holding tank
Don’t Forget This!
Purchasing a porta potty is only one part of this pontoon boat bathroom review. What about all other accessories that keep your pontoon bathroom clean?
Below are a few things that you might consider having in your pontoon bathroom if you need them.
Accessories for Pontoon Boat Toilets
Compostable or Biodegradable Toilet Paper
When you are purchasing toilet paper for your pontoon boat, you must get the right kind. The type of paper you are buying for your house is not the same as for your pontoon. You are going to want to buy toilet paper that is either compostable or biodegradable. This will help the cleaning and maintenance part.
Toilet Bowl Cleaners
It would help if you had some handy WC cleaners on board to help disinfect and clean the bathroom area.
There are many different cleaners that you can purchase. I would try to find some friendly products. Many of the products that we use for our bathroom at home are filled with chemicals. Those chemicals harm the fish and life in the water.
While potties do their best to conceal scents, some scents can escape. This can make your boating time unpleasant.
To fight that problem, grab yourself a Febreze or Poo-Pourri Toliet Spray. A couple of quick sprays and you are set to go.
Portable Storage Bag
Who would have thought that someone is going to invent a portable toilet storage bag?
Well, someone did! And to be honest, it’s a brilliant idea.
You can pack it up and take it where ever it needs to go. And not only that it serves a great purpose, but it is also waterproof. It is easy to use and carry as well as discrete. No one needs to know what’s in the bag.
- Brand New Waterproof Carrying/Storage Bag for 5.3 Gallon Portable Camping Toilet (toilet not included)
- Perfect solution for easy transportation and protection for your camping toilet, RV toilet
- Made of reinforced sturdy waterproof 600D Oxford fabric
Pontoon Boat Enclosure for Privacy
Finally, it would be best to give the person on your boat privacy when using your lavatory.
There are many different types of privacy screens and protectors that you can purchase. If your boat does not come with a dedicated bathroom space, I have a solution.
Go with a full-scale pontoon changing room and installing your toilet that way. Then, not only will you have a private bathroom, but you can also have a changing room.
- SUPERIOR QUALITY CONSTRUCTION – Made of quality water-repellant polyester, this portable toilet and changing room tent is made to last! Rugged reliable material, a heavy-duty door zipper that won’t break, stitches that hold, a strong build that...
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN – Measuring 6’ 10.7” high and 3’ 11” x 3’ 11” in length and width when open, the Utilitent affords free standing and comfortable movement within. Mosquito netting with shower opening at the top allows for air...
- PACKED WITH ACCESSORIES – This multipurpose pop-up tent is accessorized for your maximum convenience! You’ll find a shower opening, towel hanger, clothes hanger, toilet paper holder, personal belongings storage pouch, flashlight hanger, and tent...
It is always good to be ready for things that can happen. This especially applies to a pontoon in the middle of the lake and far away from the shore.
So to avoid an uncomfortable situation, make sure you have a bathroom on your pontoon. A pontoon boat toilet is a must for anyone who wants to have fun and not worry about other things.
So get your toilet, don’t wait until it’s too late.