- 1 Best Boat Umbrellas You Should Consider
- 2 Put an Umbrella on It
When you spend some time on your boat, you will quickly realize that you need some shade. The boat umbrellas on this list will provide shade while staying put even under high winds.
Most umbrellas can be adjusted to fit any Sun’s angle and provide shade to any area of the boat. Some of the boat umbrellas on this list offer heavy-duty securing mechanisms and multiple tie-down straps so that you don’t have to worry that the umbrella will blow away.
Just make sure that you get an umbrella that is the right shape and size per year’s preferred application.
Best Boat Umbrellas You Should Consider
- Hospitality Rattan XL-150 Hydra Boating & Beach Umbrella – a versatile boat umbrella that can be used both on the boat and off the boat. Read more about the Hospitality Rattan XL here.
- Sport-Brella Versa-Brella SPF 50+ – great performance umbrella that can be attached to almost anything thanks to a universal clamp. Read more about the Sport-Brella Versa-Brella here.
- EasyGoProducts AquaBrella – The Portable Bimini Boat Top Cover – similar to the Bimini top, offers the most protection. Read more about the EasyGoProducts AquaBrella here.
- Magma Products Cockpit Umbrella – built for harshest wind conditions and will last you a long time. Read more about the Magma Products Cockpit Umbrella here.
- Taylor Made Products, AnchorShade III Sun Shades – best UV protection umbrella on the list, blocks up to 90% of harmful rays. Read more about the AnchorShade III here.
Hospitality Rattan XL-150 Hydra Boating & Beach Umbrella
A good boating umbrella will provide a little bit of shade when you’re out on the water and need a break from Sun. The Hospitality Rattan Hydra XL-150 shade umbrella is the best umbrella to keep you cool while enjoying your boat.
- Umbrella Designs Allows wind venting without loss of sun protection
- Constructed of marine quality stainless Steel and lightweight aluminum
- Mildew, stain and sunlight fade resistant
This boat umbrella is mildew resistant and won’t fade in the sunlight. It also won’t stain and is easy to clean if birds or other creatures soil it.
It offers tilt and telescoping height adjustment features so you can match the Sun’s angle. It’s designed to be used with any rod holder that your boat might come with.
It has a carrying case, a beach holder, and an expansion holder for the rods if you want to use it on the beach or in your backyard. You can attach it to any rod railing or set it up in any outdoor location with these attachments.
It reflects the sun’s harmful UV rays, which is super important today. It’s lightweight and made of stainless steel and aluminum. The built material will withstand all weather conditions without rusting. It is designed for marine use so the metal components will stand up to saltwater’s corrosive effects.
There is a downside to this umbrella thought. Unless you have a straight rod holder on the gunnel, the expanding base attachment is pretty much non-functional. Most rod holders for fishing are at a 30-degree angle so opening this umbrella under that angle might be a challenge. And when you do open it, the shaded area might be over the water. It’s possible to fix this will umbrella positioning but it is something to keep in mind.
Another downside to this umbrella is that it is sometimes smaller than people expect it to be. If you are expecting an 8 ft wide shade area, you might be disappointed. After all, it’s only about 6 ft wide when open. What the manufacturer meant by 8 feet is that the shaded area on the ground will be around 8 feet with a 6 ft wide umbrella.
Another problem is the flaps that hang down on each side of the umbrella. As the wind blows over the flaps, they hit the umbrella and make a deafening noise. After a few minutes of this flapping, you might not even want to use the umbrella at all. You can cut off the flaps, but you will lose the benefit of having them for other applications, such as when you are on the beach.
The beach holder itself is also a little bit flimsy. Depending on the type of sand and how hard the wind is blowing. You might need to use the corkscrew to dig deep into the sand to get the umbrella to stay put.
Because the corkscrew is flimsy and the plastic parts are on the cheaper side, they might break. If you break these pieces, the umbrella won’t be usable.
With those things in mind, this is still a good umbrella if you are looking for a basic way to stay out of the direct sun and keep a little bit of shade on your boat.
This umbrella might not be for everyone, but if you don’t mind a little extra effort to get it in position and locked it in place, this umbrella is an excellent alternative to some of the other options there.
- Provide six 2/8 feet quiet shade area.
- Attaches to rods railings and has a beach holder.
- UV protection and weather resistant.
- Beach holder is a little bit on the cheap side.
- Sometimes hard to find the right angle under the sun.
- Flaps that hang down on the side make a noise in the wind.
Sport-Brella Versa-Brella SPF 50+
Sport-Brella Versa-Brella SPF 50+ is a versatile and portable umbrella built for performance. With a universal clamp, you can attach it to any surface. Attach the clamp umbrella, and you’ll be protected from the Sun with your own little patch of shade.
- UPF 50+ PROTECTION. The Versa-brella is a clamp-on shade canopy umbrella that offers UPF 50+ protection to help keep skin safe from 99.5% of UVA and UVB rays
- RUGGED COVER AND DURABLE CONNECTOR. The rugged canopy cover won’t rip or tear; a heavy-duty universal clamp connects to square and tubular surfaces and ensures a secure hold on golf bags, strollers, beach chairs, or even bleachers
- ADJUSTS TO ANY ANGLE: The 4-way, 360-degree swivel and 2 push button hinges allows the Versa-brella to be adjusted to any angle to block the sun
This umbrella features a four-way 360° swivel. You can adjust the swivel to match the sun’s angle no matter which direction you are facing. That is super helpful and adds a level of adjustability that other umbrellas don’t offer.
It also has a strong canopy that won’t rip or tear under heavy use. One of the most important things about an umbrella is that it needs to stay upright even under heavy wind force. Heavy-duty clamps will ensure it stays in place and doesn’t fall off or tip over.
This umbrella does the job and will make sure that you stay out of the Sun when you are out on the water no matter what.
One thing to know about this umbrella is its shape. Make sure that you are not expecting a round umbrella because this thing is not round. People prefer rounded umbrellas for aesthetic reasons. But, regardless of its polygon all shape, this umbrella will provide the same amount of shade.
The hardware tightens around most equipment types. This includes deck chairs, strollers, wheelchairs, boat railings, bleachers, and any other metal rod type. You can take this umbrella anywhere you go.
The spines of the umbrella are strong and fold into the included bag for easy storage. The spines will not break even if a moderate amount of weight is applied to them.
That is important if you use this umbrella for a boat because the wind can often change direction quickly. Applying a severe amount of force from different angles in a short amount of time and overwhelm regular umbrellas.
- Has universal attachments for every type of surface.
- Provides a good amount of shade and sun protection.
- Perfect for strollers, wheelchairs boat railings, and bleacher seats.
- Four different angles and 360-degree adjustability.
- A little bit on the small side.
- Not specifically built for marine environments.
EasyGoProducts AquaBrella – The Portable Bimini Boat Top Cover
The EasyGoProducts AquaBrella is the perfect alternative to a Bimini Top. It is portable and can be deployed quickly and easily. In a matter of minutes, you can have your piece of shade under the Sun.
- Portable – The portability of this umbrella makes it so easy to use. When boating sometimes we need shade and other times we don’t so with AquaBrella you can deploy the umbrella in just a few minutes. You can also use at the front of...
- Easy to Install – To set up the umbrella you just opens up like a normal umbrella. Place the rubber tipped bottom of the pole in the middle of your desired shade area and then attach the four straps attached to each corner of the umbrella to...
- Economical – Compared to most Bimini tops the AquaBrella is a bargain. Made form the same heavy duty UV materials as bimini tops but giving you the flexibility to use on one boat or multiple boats.
If you don’t feel like setting up your Bimini when you need a little bit of shade on your boat, this is the perfect alternative. With 6 by 6 ft of coverage, it will provide a lot of shade for many people.
This umbrella opens like a normal umbrella. Place the rubber-tipped bottom of the pole in the middle of your desired shade area. Then attach the four straps to the side of the boat. Secure the umbrella from there, and you’re good to go.
When you’re ready to take it down, unhook the straps attached to them from the railing. Hold the umbrella down, and then stuff it into the carrying bag that it comes with. It is light enough for most people to carry to and from the boat. It is also small enough to be stored in most boat compartments.
The pole has a rubber covering for both ends so that it won’t scratch your boat. Other umbrella poles have rough edges and sharp metal corners that could leave nicks and grooves in the side of your boat if you’re not careful. This umbrella is made to protect your boat from those kinds of little damages.
Of course, like most umbrellas, this umbrella is not supposed to be used while the boat is moving. It’s strange to have to say this, but sometimes people try to unfurl an umbrella while the boat is moving. This umbrella is only to be used when the boat is anchored in a shallow bay or marina.
- Easy to set up and provides a lot of shade.
- Perfect alternative for a full Bimini.
- Rubber stoppers prevent the pole from scratching your boat.
- Sometimes too large to store on the boat even when folded down.
- Customer service is sometimes not very good .
Magma Products Cockpit Umbrella
The Magma Products Cockpit Boat Umbrella is designed for the harshest marine environments. It’s made with noncorroding fade-resistant acrylic nylon materials. Thanks to this material, saltwater and Sun will not degrade this umbrella over time. It is also built to withstand the wind and not turn inside out under harsh wind conditions.
- Fade resistant acrylic nylon canopy with venting mesh windproof design
- Quick release all angle fully adjustable rail mount
- Corner tie down securing straps.
That square shape gives it the ability to be tied down and secured from all four corners of your boat. This gives it extra support in gusty wind conditions. The four corner supports can be quickly released and packed away or adjusted to match the desired shaded area.
This umbrella is designed for the cockpit area, but you can use it across any other part of the boat. The main shaft is made from flexible double cord fiberglass for extra strength. Other helm mount parts are made from stainless steel and anodized aluminum that will not rust while at sea.
The mounting system is an intense heavy-duty system for added strength and performance. You can pretty much set it up anywhere on your boat and be sure that it will not blow away.
You can use it on any boat, from a pontoon boat to a sailboat. Secure the four corner straps to available railings or attachment spots on your boat, and the umbrella will be able to take any wind that comes at it.
Sometimes these umbrellas do break if there are manufacturing mistakes, but this is a rare occurrence. If that happens, contact support, and they will send you a replacement quickly.
A lot of effort has been put into making sure that the provided tie-downs and tabs are made of hardcore materials. In the past, some of these pieces of equipment were made of cheaper plastic and broke quickly. Thankfully, that is not the case anymore.
- High-performance umbrella.
- Superior quality to other portable shade umbrellas.
- Hardcore heavy-duty attachments with four corner straps.
- Will stand up to heavy winds without deforming.
- Older models wore out and some plastic parts broke.
Taylor Made Products, AnchorShade III Sun Shades
The Taylor Made Products, AnchorShade III, is an excellent marine-grade umbrella. It provides excellent sun protection and blocks out 90% of harmful UV rays. The attachments are pretty good and lock in place on most surfaces of your boat. Set it up wherever you need shade and adjust the angle using the straps.
- Adjustable pole locks in place up to 8'
- Lightweight, mildew/fade resistant UV-treated nylon top
- Excellent sun protection, blocks out 85-90% of harmful rays
This umbrella’s hardware is made from non-corrosive materials. This material can take a lot of abuse from saltwater, wind, and all-weather conditions.
The market-style tops allow some venting to occur without loss of sun protection. That means that the umbrella can dissipate the wind’s excess force that hits it without inverting or turning inside out.
This uniquely designed 6ft. X 6ft. the square-shaped umbrella can be used on almost any boat when anchored or at idle speed on a calm day.
The one downside to this umbrella is that it can be a little bit of a pain to set up. The mechanism for securing it can be a bit complex. It’s tricky to get the ties in place, and if you have to deal with any of the smaller components breaking, such as a clip, then the setup process can become quite challenging.
Once you get the hang of it and learn how this umbrella works, the setup process will become much faster. It makes a perfect replacement for a Bimini top if you don’t have a Bimini.
The umbrella itself is made with a very sturdy design. The spines are strong, and the canvas will not tear or rip very easily. It can take a lot of high wind conditions and strong Gail forces.
- Specifically designed for marine environments.
- Ties down for secure positioning under high wind conditions.
- The sturdy design ensures the umbrella will not flip inside out.
- Sometimes hard to set up and take down.
Put an Umbrella on It
The last thing you want to have to deal with when you are out on the water is your boating umbrella breaking or flying away in the wind.
The umbrellas on this list will stay tightly secured and not deformed or turn inside out in even the strongest gale-force winds. They provide shade for either personal use or covering an entire small boat.
Just make sure that you got the right umbrella for your needs and pay attention to the shape and size to be disappointed when it arrives.
Not all umbrellas are built for marine environments, but that shouldn’t stop you from considering them. Ensure that the one you do buy has UV protection and enough attachments to keep it in place.