Boats are expensive, and having the best pontoon boat cover should be your top priority. Marine vessels – from their hull, outboard motor, bow, cuddy, console, and bimini top to their cool pontoon boat accessories – need proper care, maintenance, and storage.
Why You Need a Quality Boat Cover
Boats are expensive investments, and for many people, they’re our most precious possessions. With that said, you should do everything you can to protect your investment the best way you can.
Even though boats are sturdy, exposing them to the harsh conditions of the Sun, wind, and water slowly takes a toll on them. When you combine all of these likely damaging factors, it makes sense to invest in a pontoon canvas that can offer the following:
- Keeps your pontoon clear from dust and debris
- Guards from the Sun and prevents fading and cracking
- Adds a level of security to your boat from possible theft
- Keeps creatures and bugs out of our boat when not in use
- Deflects moisture and water
Whether you’re transporting your boat to the water or need to keep it protected while it’s moored, buying the high quality and heavy-duty waterproof boat cover should be your top priority.
Important Pontoon Boat Cover Features
Many manufacturers are claiming to have the best boat cover. So how do you know who is right and who has the best cover for your boat? Consider the following features.
Pontoon Boat Cover Size
There’s not going to be a “one size fits all” selection that works for everyone. Know the dimensions of your pontoon boat before settling for the right cover. Most manufacturers of pontoon boat cover offer different sizes so that you can fit them into yours.
One of the essential aspects you need to look at when buying a bat cover is its built material. Look for a material that’s marine-grade, meaning it’s specially intended to be used on the water. If you chose that material, you’d be off to a good start.
Ease Of Use
No one likes wasting hours to put a cover on the boat, and neither should you. To minimize the time need for cover installation, consider using elastic hemming. Hemming allows you to secure the cover over your pontoon in the most efficient way.
How to Pick the Best Pontoon Boat Cover
Not every cover is made equal. It’s important to ask the following questions to buy the best protection for your pontoon.
- Where do you use your pontoon, sea, or saltwater?
- Is your vessel stored indoors or outdoors?
- Do you live in areas with changing weather patterns: sun, rain, wind, snow?
- Do you live in an area of high humidity?
- Are your boat components UV resistant?
Once you have answered those questions, let’s look at the materials you should consider.
Different Types of Marine Materials
There are various fabrics that pontoon boat covers are made of. However, the most common materials are vinyl, acrylic, mesh, and canvas.
- Vinyl – the most popular fabric, very durable and flexible. This durability makes vinyl covers long-lasting, and its texture is excellent dirt repellant.
- Acrylic – a laminate material that is fully waterproof and fire-resistant. This laminated feature makes acrylic antibacterial and impact-proof. It might not be as good as Vinyl, but it makes for an excellent choice.
- Mesh – although not as good as the other two materials, the mesh is still popular because it can enhance your boat’s look due to various designer looks. It is not fully waterproof, but it is water-resistant and quick drying.
- Canvas – natural textile made from the cotton base. Its tight weave makes this a strong and waterproof material. However, the canvas is one of the heaviest materials, and you may not like that.
Best Pontoon Boat Covers
Now that you have answered the main questions and know which materials work best for your situation let us look at some boat covers individually.
Related: if you are looking to protect your seats, please read seat covers for pontoon boats.
The best pontoon boat cover list can’t be without Yescom. Yescom marine covers are made from genuinely high-quality marine boat cover materials, sitting at 600d.
This pontoon boat cover is like armor for our vessels with its polyurethane coating. It is highly resistant to water and splash damage.
The Yescom boat cover is double-stitched, durable, and has a water-resistant PU coat. You won’t find many boat covers out there with better reliability and style.
It is the most durable, most resilient, and well-crafted marine boat cover I have stumbled across yet. You can trust these marine covers for any style of a vessel: pontoon boats, fishing, ski, sports, bay boats, and bass boats, or even those inflatable boats.
My absolute favorite feature about the Yescom boat cover is that it comes with an elastic band that runs along its perimeter, with buckle straps to go over the top.
- Heavy duty Boat Cover fits 20 ft to 22 ft boat, for example v-hull boats, ideal for protecting your boat from dust or stain
- Long-lasting Performance - oxford material with PU coating for water & wear resistance
- Easy to Fix - strap and quick-release buckles make the cover easily fix on the boat
Yescom Boat Cover Pros & Cons
The vortex direct is also solid marine cover choices. The vortex boat cover is made from 600D fabric. The fabric is water-resistant and quite similar to the style, look, and feel of Yescom covers.
I can’t vouch as equally for the stitching. It does not seem to be as sturdy.
The New Vortex comes with elastic bands and straps like the Yescom boat cover. Of course, these elastic straps make it more expensive.
I have found this cover style offers less protection than I would prefer in marine covers because it’s not as large as some other marine tops on this list.
- HEAVY DUTY 5 YEAR MARINE CANVAS
- TRI-PURPOSE COVER/STORAGE/MOORING/TRAILERING
- HAS ELASTIC BAND AS WELL AS STRAPS
New Vortex Boat Cover Pros & Cons
These resemble the New Vortex Boat Cover. The fabric is a 600-denier waterproof material.
It comes with elastics around the edges and straps to buckle it down around boats (perhaps around the hull, bow, and outboard motor of your boat).
One valuable feature of North-East Harbor is that they have several more straps to secure the pontoon.
This offers more flexibility, as the straps can go either under entire boats (including the hull, bow, bimini top, and outboard motor) or just the pontoons.
- Marine-Grade 600 Denier Heavy Duty Pontoon Cover
- Quick Release Strapping System for Fast/Easy Installation and Trailering
- Heavy Duty Shock Cord Hem Provides a Secure Fit
North East Harbor Boat Cover Pros & Cons
Some will say that this is the best pontoon boat cover on the market today. The best thing about the Budge 1200 is these covers’ extreme durability. The covers have 1200D thick fabric that can easily handle any weather condition.
These exceptionally tough pontoon boat covers come with pocket vents, which allow moisture to escape and prevent the growth of mold and mildew. Plus, they are 100% waterproof.
You can be sure that water will not find its way into your boat to cause damage to your outboard motor, bow, cuddy, console, top, and hull.
- PROTECTION FROM THE ELEMENTS: Made from 100% waterproof 1200 denier polyester, strong enough to protect your boat from rain, snow, dirt, dust, tree sap, leaves, pollen, bird droppings and other environmental pollutants. Excellent UV protection keeps...
- WATERPROOF INSIDE AND OUT: Reinforced, waterproof seams keep moisture out. Sewn-in air vents keep condensation from accumulating, this prevents the spread of rust, mold and mildew
- COVER STAYS IN PLACE: Our elasticized hem, sewn-in straps and buckles keep your cover in place. Great for trailer use and outdoor storage
Budge 1200 Boat Cover Pros & Cons
There are various reasons why you should go with the MSC pontoon boat cover. This pontoon boat covers feature a double PU coating and superior marine grade denier polyester fabric.
Even though it is only made from 300D cover fabric, the high-water resistance cover coating gives it great weather protection.
The material used here does not shrink even after extensive use. You can’t say that about many other pontoon boat covers out there. These covers are resistant to ultraviolet lights, which can damage the outer layer of boats.
MSC marine covers come with double stitched seams and elastic cord that run along the bottom of boats. This makes these covers perfect for quick and easy covering, even if you are doing it alone.
- Made of marine grade polyester canvas with double PU Coating
- Designed for both long-term storage, mooring and highway travel
- Includes adjustable straps and storage bag; 1 Year limited warranty
MSC Boat Cover Pros & Cons
The Classic Accessories Stellex marine cover is made from tough polyester cover fabric. These covers are designed for extreme weather protection (of your marine boats, their hull, bow, cuddy, bimini top, outboard motor, and accessories) and durability.
They are treated with a special ultraviolet inhibitor. It provides max protection from UV and sun damage for your marine boats.
Thanks to adjustable transom flap and elastic cord, which are sewn into the bottom hem, boats get a tight and custom fit.
Choose these tops when you want to effectively protect your pontoon’s hull, bow, outboard motor, console, cuddy, bimini top, and awesome boat gadgets and accessories.
- MARINE GRADE BOATING ACCESSORIES: Tough polyester Stellex fabric designed for durability and weather protection, UV protection, and mildew resistance
- PROTECTIVE COVER FOR PONTOON BOATS: Adjustable transom flap and an elastic cord gives a tight, custom fit while fabric coating technology resists dirt, stains and provides water-resistance
- DURABLE BOAT COVER: Fits Most pontoon boats (see size options)
Classic Accessories Stellex Pontoon Boat Cover Pros & Cons
The Classic Accessories StormPRO Pontoon Boat Cover is the last cover on this list. It is made from a water-resistant StormPro 600 denier marine boat cover canvas.
These are heavy-duty trailer-friendly tops that come integrated with buckle and strap systems for easy boat fitting. These covers have adjustable straps that snap into the boat cover’s quick-release buckles.
StormPro covers have an elastic cord sewn into the bottom hem. This elastic cord gives the Stormpro a secure, custom fit around your pontoon, its hull, bow, outboard motor, console and bimini top, and accessories.
You also get a storage bag, transom flap tie-down rope, two stern-fit elastic cords, and trailer straps.
They are equipped with dual air vents that lessen inside moisture and ballooning. These custom pieces make it resistant to mildew and UV damage.
- StormPro trailerable pontoon boat cover from Classic Accessories
- High-strength polyester StormPro 600D marine canvas designed for durability and all-weather protection
- Water and mildew resistant
Classic Accessories StormPRO Boat Cover Pros & Cons
Additional Tips to Selecting the Right Pontoon Cover
If you are buying an aftermarket pontoon boat cover, you should do a little more research and consider additional aspects.
Here are some tips to use when looking at aftermarket boat tops.
Buy Bigger Cover
A larger boat cover means easier installation and more area of the boat covered. You don’t want to go too big, 5 inches is good enough.
Don’t Buy Boat Cover Based on its Price
A mistake that many boaters make is buying cheap boat cover to use that money on some gadget. Or they buy winterization cover as suppose to trailered cover and split it wide open on their first trip. Knowing what you are buying and not being cheap will save you money in the long run.
Avoid Bright Colors
Bright colored tops are awful; stay away from them. The color can bleed onto your upholstery and can stain it for life. Pick a neutral color, gray or white, or something that resembles your upholstery.
Water-Resistant is NOT Equal to Waterproof
People make this mistake with everything, not just pontoon boat covers. The water-resistant cover will help stop the water from getting inside your boat, but it will not prevent it entirely.
If you are leaving your boat outside over the winter, you either need to buy a waterproof cover. In the worst case, use a tarp over the water-resistant one you purchased by mistake.
Get a Cover Made For Your Boat
Make sure the cover you are buying fits your boat’s design. Is your boat open or closed bow? Even the universal pontoon boat covers might not fit properly, so find the one specially made for your pontoons design.
Know The Cover Material
We already talked about this, but it’s worth mentioning again. If you are looking to know the best pontoon boat covers, you need to start with the material. Material is as vital as any other part of the pontoon cover, so make sure you pick the absolute best.
The Conclusion to Boat Covers
So I hope I did my best explaining what I think is rated best pontoon boat cover on the market today.
A top quality boat cover is an investment in boats that’s truly worth it. These marine tops make a huge difference in the longevity of boats.